Education and Work Information

At a past Sharing Information day, it became very obvious that parents/carers and young people are struggling to obtain information about education and work choices. We have tried to put together a drop in day with some of the services you will find on the following pages bringing their information. Unfortunately we have been unable to find many people to facilitate the day.

However we did feel that the information we have been able to find out should be available to you, so we have decided to publish this information on our web site.

We hope the information here will be of help to you and if you have any further information that you think may help other families then please email or phone the office on 01235 816310.

Early Years Support

Most county councils have a special educational needs service for children under the age of 5. To find out if your local county council has a department for early years support please contact them directly. They will offer help and advice not only to parents but to health professionals, social workers, staff from the child’s early years setting e.g nursery or play group as well as parents.

They offer support in the form of:
Supporting staff to meet the child’s needs
Making observations and discussing strategies
Offering training to staff to support them in inclusion of disabled children and those with SEN (Special Educational Needs).

What they do:
Lend toys and equipment to help a child learn through play
Link with other professionals
Plan and support the running of activities
Support families with entry into pre-schools, nurseries and children’s centres

Children’s Centres:
Children’s Centres provide support, activities and information for children between 0 and 5 and their families. They can be found all over the country and offer everything from children’s activities to special sessions for young expectant parents to activities for single dads and their children.

Early Year’s Action Plus:
If you think your child has learning difficulties then contact the early years setting and raise your concerns. If your school age child is found to have learning difficulties then they will be assessed in school and if need be put on an action plan. This is done in consultation with parents and the child, parents and school agree targets for your child. It may something as simple as the school provides more support in the classroom or extra help with reading but it may more in depth.
Early years action plus is a similar sort of system but is aimed at pre-school children. But if you feel your child’s needs are more complex and they need more support than they are getting you as parents or the early years setting can apply for a statutory assessment of special educational needs.
Just because your child is not in fulltime education or is under 5 does not mean you cannot get extra support for them.
Another useful point of contact is CBIT (Child Brain Injury Trust) This charity supports children with an acquired brain injury and their families. An acquired brain injury can have been caused by illness or accident.

Contact details for CBIT:
Child Brain Injury Trust
Unit1, The Great Barn
Baynards Green Farm,
Nr Bicester,
Oxon, OX27 7SG
Telephone: 01869341075

Sources of Support

Various locations around the country.
They help support young people from 13 to 19+ with everything from education, careers, housing and benefits. Some areas have Connexions offices that offer information and appointments to see advisors but they can also be accessed through schools.

Community Head Injury Service
Working Out

The Camborne Centre
Jansel Square
Bucks HP21 7ET
Telephone: 01296 337760
This service is for Buckinghamshire residents only.

‘Working out provides specialist vocational rehabilitation which explores the issues related to employment after brain injury’.

CBIT: Child Brain Injury Trust
Caroline from CBIT holds drop in sessions on the first and third Mondays of every month on Melanie’s ward level 0 at the Children’s Hospital between 2pm and 4pm. Please contact Caroline on 01865 341075 for further information.

Post 16 Education

Skill (National Bureau for Students with Disabilities)
Unit 3 Floor 3
Radisson Court
219 Long Lane
London SE1 4PR
Telephone: 02074510620
Information service: 08003285050
Textphone: 1800108003285050
SMS Text Service For young people aged between 16-24: 07786208028
This is an excellent web site with information about applying for disabled student allowances, applying for further and higher education, support for learning, getting into work and much more.

Angela Stanley
ABI Transitions manager

South Worcestershire College,
Evesham Campus
Davies Road
Evesham WR11 1LP
Telephone: General Information 01386712635
Website: search box enter ABI Centre.
This college has a centre for young people with Acquired Brian Injury (ABI) as result of accident or illness.

Parent Partnerships

Parent Partnerships are statutory services that offer information, advice and support to parents/carers and young people who have special educational needs (SEN). They can also put you in touch with other local and national organisations.
They will help with giving advice and information on a schools responsibilities, help you to be fully involved in the assessment and statementing process, they will be able to help you with the paperwork involved, talk through with you your choices, the procedures involved and provide you with your rights and responsibilities as parents/carers on the polices, local procedures and the law.
If you don’t find the parent partnership details for the area where you live below please contact the national body for parent partnerships on 02078436058 or email or website alternatively go on to your local county council website and search for parent partnerships.
Parent Partnership Contact Details:

Parent Partnership (Slough)
Learning and Cultural Services,
Town Hall,
Bath Road,
Slough SL1 3UQ
Helpline Number: 01753787693
Office Number: 01753787690


Job Centre Plus:
These can be found in most towns.
The web site has information about vacancies in your area, information about training schemes, pages for disabled people and information about benefits.
Disability employment advisors:
Job Centre Plus will be able to put you touch with a disability advisor. Sometimes they are shared between job centres so you may have to wait awhile for an appointment. They will discuss with you what work you think you can do and what training schemes are available to you.

18c Meridian East
Meridian Business Park
Leics LE19 1WZ
Telephone: 08451552700
Minicom: 08451550532
This company helps disabled people find work.